12.05.2016

"Jesus healed the sick and so can you." #LIGHTtheWORLD

This has been on my mind for a while, but I haven't had the time to really write it down or share it. But at the beginning of November, I had a really difficult patient at work for over a week - difficult in that it was hard to manage both behavior and plan of care for many different medical issues going on. I felt like a terrible therapist and that no matter what I did or said, this patient wasn't happy with me. It started to affect my interactions with other patients and my confidence as a therapist. I came home crying one night, being so frustrated. I wanted to fix everything about this situation, but there were so many factors in play that I knew I couldn't control. 

I was on the phone with a friend that weekend, but thinking about this situation still. It had affected me so much. Out of the blue, I remember distinctly thinking of the phrase "Heaven is cheering you on." (from this talk)

It started a chain of thoughts that reminded me that I can help in the healing process, but the ultimate healer (spiritually, physically, mentally, emotionally) is our Savior, Jesus Christ. He is cheering us on. He is the only way we can truly be healed, even if it may a long process and not all at once. That's how it is meant to be. I can't do it all on my own, my patients can't do it all on their own. But by relying on the Savior's atonement, we can be given greater empathy and understanding to help those around us, to have a greater capacity to serve, and to know why we must go through certain growing pains in this mortality. 


This video is something I think about a lot in my work - and I know that it's kind of cheesy. But I love the quote at the beginning and the point it gets across. I think it's applicable to any work setting, any perspective you encounter whether it's a discussion about politics or religion or any sort of belief, everyone has something they are dealing with or going through that may cause them to think or act or react in the way they do. Everyone has a different frame of reference and life experience. I am convinced that the best way we can have a healing heart is to work on changing our framework, perspectives, and judgements of others to have more empathy and love towards them. Because Heaven is cheering all of us on. 

1 comment:

  1. Totally saw that movie in a training when I was getting to work at a hospital and HOLY SMOKES I BAWLED.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger