6.22.2015

o my father

hello, dear readers. 

the blog will slowly be coming back, as it was lost in the midst of endless hours of papers, studying for exams, assignments, 4 clinical rotations (5 starting tomorrow with a final full-time internship for 8 weeks), and all the other joys of twenty one months of graduate school. 

i am done with graduate school. 

i think it finally hit me yesterday on my twenty fourth birthday. 

yes, it was my birthday yesterday. a mere week after graduating as a master in medical speech-language pathology from the university of washington. while contemplating the last year yesterday and really my twenty four years of existence, i was overwhelmed with gratitude. i don't think i've ever felt that so strongly in my life. it brings tears to my eyes even writing about it now. i was facetiming with my parents before a party at my house and i just started sobbing tears of joy, overcome with gratitude and love for all that i have been given. because truly, i have been given much and then some. i was reminded yesterday of all the ways Christ has strengthened me in the last year. i was overcome with the knowledge that the Lord is in every single detail of my life and the last two weeks have been a big ole reminder of that. the whole day was filled with spending time and hearing from the astounding people (from all chapters of my life) who have blessed me in countless ways.

and today it is father's day. during sacrament meeting today, i thought a lot about the hymn, "o my father" and the words of each verse. 

my earthly father has always been my rock. he taught me the importance of an eternal perspective and reminded me constantly that as rocky balboa says, "But it ain’t about how hard ya hit. It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done! Now if you know what you’re worth then go out and get what you’re worth."

while being in seattle has been filled with a lot of joy and incredible experiences, the hard times have taught me a lot about what i am made of, my divine nature, and the enabling power of the atonement. it has taught me that no matter where we are, we will feel homesick. we will always long for the eternal things. how grateful i am for the way the Lord has molded and refined my life as a "stranger" during this mortal experience. how wonderful it is to know of His Son's redeeming love! how wonderful it is to abide in that love and grow closer to Him. through each day and experience, i hope i am becoming less of a stranger and He is my very best, wise, kind, Heavenly friend. i hope to continue in the lifelong pursuit of discipleship, learning to become more charitable, more humble, more fit for the kingdom. 

For a wise and glorious purpose, Thou hast placed me here on earth and withheld the recollection of my former friends and birth; Yet ofttimes a secret something whispered, "You're a stranger here," and I felt that I had wandered from a more exalted sphere.

Then, at length, when I've completed all you sent me forth to do, with your mutual approbation let me come and dwell with you.

2 comments:

  1. This made me cry. Congratulations!!! You have done so much and have so much more to do. You are so wonderful.

    http://shelbylanece.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man, grad school scares me to death, but somehow the thoughts keep coming up in my mind.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger