2.11.2014

A Mother's Love -- Alicia from Peter and Alicia


This afternoon, we have a post from Krista's older sister, Alicia. Like I said on Saturday, I love their family so much and I'm so grateful for the example Alicia has been to me over the years. She recently had a baby and she emailed me to see if she could write a post about her love as a mother...of course! I don't know how she has the time to do everything she does (working as a nurse, being a new mother, etc.), but she always has been an incredibly talented woman and she wrote such a sweet post about her angel boy...it made me tear up! So precious and so perfect.

Thanks so much, beautiful Alicia! 
Love ya!

Please check out her blog {here}.

... 

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I have wanted to be a mom for forever. My childhood was spent playing house with multiple babies and a husband who was always "at work". I loved babysitting as a teenager and could hardly wait until I had a family of mine.

I got married when I was 19 and was ready to be a mom about one month in. However, another important goal of mine was to graduate from college, so I focused on that first. In May of 2013, I graduated from the University of Utah with a degree in nursing, and you'll never guess where I work. The Newborn Intensive Care Unit, of course. I go to work and hold, cuddle and love on the sweetest little babies.

I finally had a baby of my own in December, William. Nothing could have prepared me for the love I have for that little boy.


Of course I show my love to him in all the conventional ways, ie. kissing his chubby cheeks, telling him how much I love him, taking hundreds of pictures of him, holding him, and rocking him to sleep. But, perhaps more importantly is how I show him how much I love him in ways that might not initially come to mind.

Love is feeding him every three hours, around the clock, for weeks.

Love is getting pooped on in the middle of the night.

Love is putting down my to-do list and picking up my son.

Love is marveling at his perfect features and convincing myself that I really get this perfect child for eternity.

Love is feeling empty and lonely when he's not with me.

Love is doing 6-8 loads of laundry per week, each full of soft blankets, onesies and burp cloths.

Love is crying on the way to work my first night back after maternity leave.

Love is worrying about how much he eats and how he is sleeping when I'm not with him.

Love is crying tears of joy and smothering him with kisses when I got home from my first night back at work.

The love of a mother is the purest and most powerful love I know. I always knew that I wanted to be a mother, but I never knew that I wanted to be able to love like a mother.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome! And I'm only a little biased in thinking he's basically the cutest baby ever!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger