11.28.2013

gratitude: "for as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he"

Last Wednesday, I was not on my game. The day involved a stomach flu bug and a persistent migraine, a session that made me really question if I wanted to work with kids followed by a report on the session that took me much longer to write than it should, and my tire light came on while I was driving home and that scared me half to death (for good reason since I recently had a tire problem!). It was just a day filled with craziness and of course, I had a huge test the next day. My roommate was kind enough to go with me to get air in my tires and that was resolved, but my perspective on the day was pretty dim. I broke down to both my amazing clinician partner and my mom at different points. They let me cry and talk through a few things. They both gave me a lot of good perspective and comfort. At the end of talking to my mom, I said to her, "I'm going to make it through this. It was just a bad day and these past two months have been a rough patch, but I'll be fine and I am blessed to be here." She agreed and encouraged me to keep pressing forward in faith.

There is a time to every season and a purpose for every season in life. This is a huge season of growth for me and I truly am grateful for it. I recently read this quote from our prophet, Thomas S. Monson, "To express gratitude is honorable, to enact gratitude is generous and noble, but to live with gratitude ever in our hearts is to touch heaven." It made me think of an audiobook I listened to last week, "As a Man Thinketh" by James Allen. If you haven't read it, please do. The title is based on a portion of the scripture, Proverbs 23:7"For as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he." This short book is all about the power of positive thinking, how we can become better through changing how we think about life and see life. It's one of my dad's favorites and I was so happy I took the time to listen to it. 

I am truly so blessed. Each day brings little tender mercies and I am so grateful that the Lord places tender mercies in my life. They are little love notes from Him, reminding me to keep going and that He is aware of me. This Thanksgiving, I want to resolve to be better at living in gratitude, seeing the positive in each day-to-day. For as I thinketh, so I shall be and I want to be one who lives a grateful and happy life.

Here are just a few of the many things for which I am most grateful:

I am grateful for my family. For their strengthening prayers. For Skype sessions with them. For encouraging texts and phone calls throughout the day. For all they have taught me. For all of the unconditional love they show me. For all of the laughs and tears they share with me. My family is my everything. Seeing them as I came down the escalator at Salt Lake International last night was incredible. Though I've talked to them every day since I moved, my heart was so full and we all started hugging and crying as soon as I reached them. It was a reunion I will never forget and I am so grateful we are a forever family. 

I am grateful for my friends in Utah and my new friends in Seattlewonderful classmates, professors, roommates and friends in my ward and the other wards. They have made this transition a lot easier for me. All of the sweet letters in the mail and texts and gmail chats and phone calls mean more than words can express. Support systems get us through the ups and downs of life and I'm blessed to have the best support system.

I'm grateful for my body and for my health. It truly is incredible to know what my body is capable of and how infinite tiny details come together to help us think, talk, walk, and perform countless functions every single day.

I'm grateful for my car. Aside from a little trouble, it has been wonderful to have it with me in Seattle for therapeutic driving (which of course includes car singing), driving over to the Temple in Bellevue, and exploring my new surroundings. While I was driving my friend to the airport on Tuesday afternoon and being driven there by my roommate yesterday, all I kept thinking about was how I live in such a beautiful place. I walked around my campus on Tuesday morning during a break and it is such a picturesque campus. And lately, Mt. Rainier has been making glorious appearances and the sun has been shining every day. I am so grateful to live in Washington and I'm glad that I am feeling like it's becoming home (at least until graduation in June 2015, maybe longer). I am very grateful for my home there and my house in Utah. When I came home last night, it was like a dream. I walked around the house for a good 15 minutes saying how grateful I was for a big kitchen, a garbage disposal, nice bathrooms, a front loading washer and dryer, for nice carpet, for good furniture, for everything in our house. My family thought I was so funny to be saying all of these things about our house, but I have a whole new perspective on the little things and luxuries that make our home so great. I am so grateful to be here, even if it's for a few short days, and I'm grateful I have a nice home to return to in Washington.

I'm grateful for the profession I am working towards. Though eventually fulfilling my roles as a wife and mother will bring the most definitive and ultimate joy I will have in life, I find supernal joy in helping others learn to communicate and learning all there is to know in this field. The sweet little boy I have had in clinic this quarter has presented me with some challenges, but it has really made me dig deep. I realize time and time again that this is exactly what I want to be doing. All of my classes and experiences at UW have been beyond anything I could've dreamed. I love the feelings and thoughts I have while I am at the clinic or while I am in class. I still can't even believe I ended up in such an incredible graduate program and I know it will help me become the best clinician I can be...I am so blessed.

I am grateful for the ability to communicate with Godprayer. Life is one of those things we can't do on our ownI have to rely on a power and strength infinitely greater than my own. I am grateful for every aspect of my faith and my religion, but especially prayer.  The daily act of expressing thanks and expressing desires of my heart. The daily act of pleading for heavenly help for my family and my friends. The daily act of God listening to me and in turn, listening to what He needs me to do, so I can become better. The daily act of turning my problems over to God to let Him work miracles in my life. Slowly and surely, He is making my life into a masterpiece. I know He is molding me and shaping me into who He needs me to be, so I can one day return to Him. For the plan of happiness and for this knowledge of who I am and who I can become, I am the most grateful.
...

Happy Thanksgiving!

"The grateful man sees so much in the world to be thankful for, and with him, the good outweighs the evil. Love overpowers jealousy, and light drives darkness out of his life. Pride destroys our gratitude and sets up selfishness in its place. How much happier we are in the presence of a grateful and loving soul, and how careful we should be to cultivate, through the medium of a prayerful life, a thankful attitude toward God and man!"Joseph F. Smith

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful and positive outlook. Gratitude does wonders for the heart. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger