9.17.2013

how lucky {and blessed}


I have been thinking a lot about this quote for the past few days. 
Mainly because I am now officially in Seattle. 

I arrived on Friday evening and it still seems a bit surreal. I keep thinking that I am on vacation and I'll just be home again in a few days. It has been really hard to unpack everything (my room is in shambles still) and try to get oriented in my new (really it's old and kind of falling apart) house, new ward (try going from utah to 20 people in sacrament and 40 people at a regional fireside...very different!), and new surroundings (busy city with a population of 620,778). I felt more at home at church on Sunday and campus yesterday than I have the whole time I've been here, so that was really good. 

I'll try to be better at blogging {don't hate me for the next few days of multiple posts}. 

This summer has been one focused on my relationship with the Savior, my family, and my friends. That's why I wasn't on here too much. It was much better for me to be spending time with those I love and spending time in Holy Places, rather than blogging meaningless things. No regrets at all, because I feel so lucky and blessed to have had many hard goodbyes. I have had so much love and support from my friends and neighbors my whole life, but I was amazed at the people who brought by little treats, wrote kind words to me, and the support I've received, especially in the past few months. Something I've realized is we truly can't comprehend how large our support system is, here on earth and beyond. I know my support system will be continued with my great roommates, ward members, and friends. I have already taken advantage of Skype and texting and calling many friends and family and it has been key in helping me take this huge leap of faith to be here and do this program.

My mom said to me when she and my dad left, "The phrase 'next time' is super comforting to us now." 
Can't wait for the next time I can give them all hugs in real life, especially since the last time I hugged my siblings was right before I got in the car to drive away from my home for the past twenty two years. I know I'm where I need to be, but how lucky and blessed I am to have so many people in my life that made saying goodbye so hard. 



4 comments:

  1. Congrats! Moving to a new place takes time and like you said, can be really hard. But, I think it's so good and helps you see what you are truly capable of. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is what i call "my india quote".
    how are you?!?!?! do you live with roomies? by yourself? i'm so proud of you for making this big leap of faith! i feel like seattle is going to give you SO much! i also think you'll give seattle so much... that's one lucky city. this post made me think about how you're never really away from home because of the gospel. you go to a new city, a new state, a new country even and you can find the lds church. it never changes, even when your surroundings and yourself constantly undergo change. i actually read a blog post about this recently (a slc temple square sister posted it) and it really helped me put this concept into perspective as a soon-to-be missionary. i won't be leaving home, not really. people always say "home is wherever i'm with you", usually referring to a husband or wife, but i can use that same statement about my spiritual life and my closeness to god. good luck with everything catherine!!! feel free to write me over the next 18 months :] my addresses will be posted on my mission blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Seattle! I'm sure it's beautiful. I'm proud of you Catherine. That's a huge step. You are brave, and you are going to find so much happiness there. All my love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck to you! Moves are always hard. It takes a while to get used to the transition, but you seem to be one that applies a healthy perspective to things. That will see you through. And I absolutely love Seattle!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger