7.28.2013

the things of my heart today.




i was called to be a young women advisor about the middle of may in my home ward and it has been such a wonderful calling for me. but i feel a sense of urgency with these girls like i never felt when i myself was in young women's nor when i served as relief society president two years ago. i want these girls to know and i want them to know now. 

i want them to know the joy of living the principles of the gospel and to know it now.
 i want them to know the love of their savior and to know it now
i want them to know the reality of the phrase, "we are daughters of our heavenly father who loves us..." and to know it now

however, i was thinking about it last night in preparation for my lesson. it takes a lifetime of adding oil to our lamps each day to truly know and draw closer to our Heavenly Father and our Savior, Jesus Christ. we don't always know immediately and that is the amazing thing about the Gospel. there will always be something to learn or something to add to your stores of knowledge. my testimony has grown exponentially since i was in young women. it is a wonder how i made it through each day with a testimony that was strong, but not as deep and strong as it is now. it is my greatest hope and prayer that my knowledge and love and understanding will continue to increase with each experience, trial, and day-to-day moments thrown my way. 

the beautiful and the not-so-beautiful. 
the smooth sailing and the heart wrenching. 
the meaningful pursuits and the aimless wanderings.

each moment has brought me to where i am today and though my sense of urgency remains, i know these girls will be brought to a knowledge over time. each person has their own experience and way of coming to know. i can't even put into words the things of my heart, but i can say i know that obedience to the principles of the gospel allows God to make our lives into something more beautiful and rich and lovely than we ever could on our own or if we lived the standards of the world. it is so important to reach for the eternal things and to set the world aside. to live in the world, but to not be of the world. 

i heard this at jessi's brother's farewell today and i want you to know, i am not ashamed to be a member of the church of jesus christ of latter-day saints. it is the reason why i am who i am. without the gospel, i have no idea where i'd be in life. i know it is true with every fiber of my being and my soul. it brings me the greatest joy and peace. i may not know where my life will lead me, but i know what a lifetime of righteous living leads me to--eternal life. i may not have all the answers, but i know i can pray to a loving Heavenly Father who will teach me all things "line upon line, precept on precept".  i may not always be perfect, but through Christ, i know i can be made perfect. 

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
I, Catherine Anne Newman, do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. 
{Philippians 4:13}

life is beautiful, so very beautiful.

2 comments:

  1. i'm the exact same way with my young women. I NEED them to feel loved and special. they NEED to realize their worth. they NEED to remember their divine nature. ah, i love being surrounded by those fresh, growing souls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your young women are so lucky to have you catherine! i bet they love having you as their leader and teacher.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger