2.10.2013

God's Love for Us -- Erin from Balanced Body



This afternoon, we have Erin from Balanced Body. We attended school together, but we really became friends in ninth grade and high school. We had many a MSN messenger chat about our crushes, school, and deeper things. Does anyone remember those days? They seem too long ago. Anyway, I am thrilled that Erin found such a wonderful guy--Bryson--and I have loved being able to stay in touch with her through blogging. I think a lot of my friendships from school have become stronger through blogging, because a lot of them share such wonderful, profound thoughts on their blogs along with the silly and fun and I'm grateful to have grown up with and know such wonderful women. Erin, along with many others, have blessed my life through their associations when we went to school together Make sure you go check out her blog and enjoy this post! {Isn't her wedding day picture STUNNING?!}
...

Hello! I’m Erin. 

Nice to meet you all. (Thanks, Catherine, for letting me blog crash today!)

So.

Love.


First thing that comes to mind is my husband, obviously. 
He’s just the best. (And happy 9 months today, babe!)
You can read more about us *here*.
But today I’ve decided to write about God’s love for us.

When I was 16 my parents took me on a month long trip to Europe. We spent the majority of the time in Switzerland and let me tell you something about German--it’s angry sounding gibberish. I didn’t have any idea what was going on the whole time! (My dad translated a lot, but still). 

One night, about 3 weeks in, I was thinking about this language barrier and how small I really was. I started to realize how many people were on this earth, how many languages they spoke, and how little I seemed to matter. I wondered how God could really keep track of us, how He could know each of us better than we know ourselves, and how He could answer and hear each of our prayers. I had never doubted my testimony before, but for the first time in my life, I wondered if little me really did matter.

Well, I had received answers to my prayers before so I knelt down and started to pray. I prayed and prayed and prayed that I would know that I was loved, and that God knew that I was in Switzerland and was having a hard time feeling like I mattered, and that my Savior had really suffered for me personally. Well, I didn’t feel anything. After pouring my heart out for an hour, I didn’t feel any comfort, relief, or love. I was devastated. I opened my scriptures, just to try to get my mind off how sad I felt. I opened to D&C 6. It says:

v. 20 Behold,...I have spoken unto thee because of thy desires; therefore treasure up these words in thy heart. Be faithful, and diligent in keeping the commandments of God, and I will encircle thee in the arms of my love.

And just like that, I felt the Spirit stronger than I ever had before. I really did feel like arms were wrapped around me! And I felt loved like I never had. I kept reading.

v. 24 And now, behold, you have received a witness.


I knew it! I knew that God loved me and that Jesus Christ loved me! My life changed at that moment. I mattered. And I was loved.

This may seem weird for a Valentines Day post. But since that experience, my outlook on love and my ability to love has completely grown. I feel like I am a more loving person. I also love myself more. Which, oddly enough, has also given me a greater ability to love others, especially my hubby.

So even if you don’t have a Valentine this year (believe me, I had plenty SAD's before Bryson), just remember that there will always always always be God’s love to turn to.

And that is the best kind of love.

3 comments:

  1. I loved this post! What a great reminder. I'm sorry I didn't join in on the fun 14 days of love. I was so flattered you asked me, but then I thought "but I'm so boring, I wouldn't have a clue what to say? does anyone care about Jordan and I? " not to mention a lot of other things were going on at that time that was really taking my mind and concentration. But I love the idea! & I wish I had joined in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, Erin. What a sweet and important testimony to gain in such a meaningful way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's important to be able to feel God's love too, because in those few moments when you don't feel like you're loved by anyone else, you still have him.
    That picture is amazing.
    And yes, MSN chats back in the day with people you spend hours with every day and don't really have a ton to chat about, but you chat for hours anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger