5.21.2012

december 21, 2011: acts that define love


December 21, 2011

Love is on my mind a lot.
I talk a lot about it on here. I think because it's a force that dominates and defines my life.
Not I'm not just talking about that crazy romantic love stuff (presently, I'm content to just have dreams about dating or being married to NFL football players or Ryan Gosling or Ryan Reynolds or Matt Bomer or all of those other dreamy celebrities). 
But acts that define love.

About a year ago, I was at a wedding dinner for one of my friends I grew up with. At the dinner, her dad made a comment that has stuck with me. He gave her a picture of a sunset from Lake Powell (a place they love) and said, "Share your sunsets with one another. Tell each other about your days and the things that happened in your days." 

I've given my thoughts on love plenty of times, but here's a new one. Love is sharing your life with others. Sharing your abilities and talents. Sharing your ups and downs. Sharing your testimony. Sharing your kind words. Just being plain genuine.

My dad is so hard working that he came home from a long work day and got up on our roof in the freezing cold to finish taking care of our shingles. 
My mom is so giving that she spent the majority of the day getting gifts ready for Christmas and shopping (not that that is the meaning of Christmas or love, but she always puts a lot of time and effort into finding what people would love the most). 
My brother, resting his head on my shoulder while we watched a little TV this afternoon.
My sister, putting herself out there and getting out of her comfort zone. 
Being patient and forgiving.
Being open and full of hope that things work out.
Being the first person to say, "I'm sorry" and the first person to say, "I love you."
To me, all of these acts express just some of the greatest kinds of love--trust, selflessness, and compassion.

4 comments:

  1. So very true indeed....way to get people thinking. Love is awesome, in the many forms it comes in :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. Writing your blog is an act of love, too. And I am grateful for it. Thank you, friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. gosh i love this. your posts always touch my heart. we were meant to be blog friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this so much. and it is so true. some people are more open with their lives and some more private, and that's ok. but i'm definitely and open person and it just comes naturally to me. it seems like it would be so much work to keep things from people. its so much easier to be open and honest about everything. i know this isn't necessarily what you were saying in this post but i guess its just my thoughts and take on this subject.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger