4.03.2012

why i blog.



why do i have this little blog?
 this will be a jumble of thoughts which have been on my mind for some time now.
and for some time now, i have debated back and forth as to whether i should make my blog one that's private.

"oh, i read about that on your blog."
"yeah, yeah, i already know. you blogged about that a while ago."
"i read your blog, so i'm basically caught up on your life."

i feel a little bit undecided inside when i hear people say these things to me.

1. i feel very grateful that we have been given so many ways to communicate and stay in touch and express our emotions. i love reading about things going on with my friends and family and making new friends with you fellow bloggers. i love finding things in common and having a place to talk about them with others. i love being able to catch up on someone's happenings through their blog and leaving them comments about the exciting things going on in their lives

2. i also feel a little bit angry and hurt when messages and phone calls go unanswered and the excuse some people in my life have given me is that it is because i have a blog. i really don't think that a blog can replace a simple text message saying you are thinking about a person or a quick phone call to catch up or the even rarer occasion of simply talking and interacting...in real life (gasp).

it's not my intention to make anyone feel bad about themselves and i sincerely apologize if you have felt at any time that i have treated you that way...i am not trying to make a case out of anyone or make anyone feel bad. i am simply expressing my frustrations with some aspects of the overwhelming amount of media in our world today that has seemingly taken away some of the ways we interact with each other and the very personal aspects of our lives.

i go back and forth in my mind, wondering if i post too much about my life. and i'll be the first to admit that sometimes, i probably do get a little bit too personal.

however, i wouldn't take back what i have written. i mostly feel grateful that i do post about these things. i love looking back at when i started this blog at the start of my college experience and my experience of living away from home. when i go back through the archives every once in a while, i always learn a lot about myself over these past almost three years of blogging...

my heartaches,
my emotions,
my quirkiness, 
my weird obsessions,
things that bring me happiness,
things that speak to my soul, 
things i thought were important, but actually weren't,
things that seemed insignificant, but actually weren't,
my testimony and beliefs, 
my days spent in my classes,
and a lot of things about my friends and my family, etc.

the things i write are real and genuine expressions of my experiences in my life. writing these things down have helped me be able to look at what i have done (both mistakes and accomplishments), how i have changed, how i can and need to become better, and ultimately these thoughts i have written down help me see a direction in my path and where i want to go in this life.

i found this wonderful quote through this post last week by Joanna Goddard:

“There’s something sacred about reading a blog post on someone else’s site. It’s like visiting a friend’s house for a quick meal ’round the breakfast table. It’s personal — you’re in their space, and the environment is uniquely suited for idea exchange and uninterrupted conversation. In many ways, we should be treating our blogs like our breakfast tables. Be welcoming & gracious when you host, and kind & respectful when visiting.” – Trent Walton

"i really loved what you wrote about this or that."
"thanks for posting that, i really needed to read it."

i want to thank you for the positive comments and feedback you give me, even when i don't deserve it. thank you for being respectful and kind. i hope i can always be a welcoming and gracious host for those of you who read and care.

i have loved getting to know so many of you bloggers and reading about your experiences--thank YOU for being such gracious hosts. i am grateful for the experiences you share and the wonderful, inspiring people you are. i truly look up to all of you in so many ways--for being willing to share about your talents, strength, courage, humor, confidence, and loving ways.

in short, i think i will always be teetering back and forth about my opinion on blogging,
but i think for now, i'm here to stay and i hope you are, too.

7 comments:

  1. i go back and forth about blogging as well. that's too bad some people don't return phone calls/text messages because they've already caught up with whats going on with you on your blog. some people are so silly. i'm glad you're here to stay for now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Atta girl. Blogging is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what the heck?! why do people say some of those crazy things to you. I too love your blog, and think that people who happen to stumble upon in because its not actually private will be blessed by the things you have to say. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. dont pay attention to negative people! do what you do and hold your head high! you've a fabulous blog!

    http://yuliconversations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still like to talk to people in real life...even if I did read it on their blog. Glad you're sticking around :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. blogging is most definitely one of the greatest things i have ever been a part of. at first i would feel weird when people in real life tell me they read my blog but i have come to accept it. i actually like it. those who read it get to know me in a different way entirely. i am much more open with my written words than i am in person. plus i love the community that comes with blogging. so much kindness and inspiration everywhere you look.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger