2.01.2012

One: My Greatest Example of Love - Allie


My dear friend, Allie, and I have been friends since high school. For years now, she and her family have always been ultimate examples of love and kindness to me. 

I think you'll see why.

Grab a box of Kleenex for this one--I had to. 

------------------------------


Hey, I’m Allie from The Way I Am and I am humbled to be guest posting for one of my best friends, Miss Catherine. I still don’t consider myself to be much of a writer by any means and blogging for me has really come about in an interesting way. I started a blog a few years back in an attempt to remember life a little bit better. In 2010 my mom was diagnosed with brain cancer and in an attempt to keep friends and family updated, I was asked to use my blog as a resource for informing others about her condition. Since then, I have found blogging to be my therapy for all that has happened since 2010. I usually write about my friends, my family, and my life and therefore most of my posts are about my best friend, my mom, and the tremendous example she was to me. With that said, let me share with you my greatest example of love. 

When I was a little girl, I remember looking forward to my dad coming home from work every night. With his suit coat in one hand and his briefcase in the other he would exclaim, “I’m home!” He would then proceed to find my mom busy finishing up dinner in the kitchen, set his things down on the barstool and they would (in their words) SMOOCH before anything else could be done.

I grew up seeing this day after day, year after year and it became the norm for the way I viewed my parents’ relationship. It wasn’t until I was older that I realized that what they had was something special and anything but ordinary.

My parents were like many other couples. They grew up in the same city, attended the same high school, and knew many of the same people. Both spent time at BYU—dad served a mission and also attended the University of Utah, mom was married within her first year out of high school and had my cute older brother Matt. Mom’s first marriage ended and it was not long after that when her knight in shining armor came and swept her off her feet.

After marriage came four more children, along with the chaos that can accompany young families. They made do and continuously showed their love for one another and for each of their five children.

Life had its ups and downs, as it always seems to, but they worked together and enjoyed the life they had. There is not a single time in my life that I can recall mom and dad having an argument. Never did I hear one raise their voice to the other or say something demeaning about the other. They lived by the principle that you don’t criticize the one you love.

They had fun together and spent many happy moments singing with one another, going on dates, working together in the garden, fixing up the house, going on walks, and of course their favorite—kissing. In fact, while I was growing up my parents always gave me what I thought was excellent marriage advice: marry someone who you would enjoy kissing every day.

Life drastically changed in 2010 when mom was diagnosed with a serious form of brain cancer that required immediate attention.  Not knowing what to do, dad called on the help of many in his desperate and hopeful attempt at a miracle. What he asked for was nothing short of a miracle and the prayers of many were heard and felt.

Through the next 8 months, dad did everything in his power to keep things as they were before. Mom required extra attention which he was more than willing to provide. He picked out her clothes, brushed her hair, and helped her put on her makeup. He drove mom to her radiation appointments, made dinners, and hugged mom when she was feeling cold or down.

Life became hard but they only drew closer to one another and exemplified this quote by Mother Teresa, “If you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.”

Mom passed away during the summer of 2011 after a short battle with the cancer. 
Leo Buscaglia has said, “Love is life. And if you miss love, you miss life.” 
From what I know of love and life, mom and dad had both 
and they have been my greatest example of love.

-------------------------------

Thank you for sharing your beautiful writing, Allie!

As soon as you walk through the door of your house, I always am filled with love and warm feelings.

I know it's because of the love your family shares with each other and with those around you.

I am forever grateful that I know you and for the influence and friend you have been to me! 

XOXO

4 comments:

  1. Love this example of REAL love! Even through hard times, you can totally tell when it's true like that. That's what really matters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very important read.
    thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this and I needed it! Thanks Allie for sharing your story, such an amazing example. XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this blog in a long time. Funny I was thinking about your mom & dad, wondering about you and then I was able to read your beautiful account of your parents special relationship. What a gift of knowing your parents loved each other and loved each of their children. You are beautiful and bright!
    Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger