12.01.2011

Break My Stride


{Sometimes in life, you feel a little sassy after you get a haircut.
Or you practice your "surprised" expression. Joke.}

Yesterday was a good day, but the night turned into an odd one.

I had school, worked my hardest during my break between classes on a project due in Language Science today, had my visiting teacher come visit me, got my hair cut (or course, it was only two inches and of course, I went to Parson's Bakery before and got two delicious cookies to eat on the way home), and then came home to dinner and spent the rest of the night in my room finishing up the project.

Around 9, I took a little break to change my clothes, wash my face and put my hair up in curlers (super classy). I kept working and I was in the middle of an awesome train of thought when my sister ran into my room saying that some guys from my ward had come to see me. This was unexpected, because my home teachers already had taught me for the month (For a moment, I thought it could be that I was having another dreaded "Phil the Home Teacher"* experience from my freshman year living at the dorms). But then I thought it was probably the Elder's Quorum President and Ward Mission Leader to talk with me about something. Good thing I had no makeup on and my hair was in curlers, right? With the help of Hope, it took out those curlers lickedty split and I went upstairs. I was 1/2 right, it was the Elder's Quorum President and a member of his presidency. I sat down and all they wanted to do was ask how I was doing. It was a nice thought and fun to chat for a few minutes until they started to tell me to not stress about getting into grad school and getting good grades and doing well on the GRE and everything. Everything I'm working towards right now. They basically said, "If it's meant to be, it will happen...so don't work at it. Because it'll come to you if it's going to. Don't work at it. Just let it happen." I definitely believe that it's important to let things happen according to their natural course, but I was a little mad that they were basically telling me to give up working hard to accomplish my dreams. I'm sure they meant well, but I felt a little mad after the visit. While I was finishing the paper, I thought about how things also don't just happen on their own. You have to work and work and work for them. And after all your efforts, good things come your way.

After I finished up the project, I read this post by Monica and it calmed me right down.
Thanks, Monica :)

"May your prayers be answered and your hopes and dreams become realities." -Gordon B. Hinckley

No one's going to break my stride.

I'm going to make my dreams a reality.

*Phil the Home Teacher would sometimes come visit me five times a month...unannounced. Never a phone call or forewarning. It got to the point where he even crashed our roommate Post Midterms Cafe Rio Christmas Sweater Party (said party was also in mid-November). Needless to say, the Bishop heard about this from another girl on our floor who was also being visited five times a month and the HT assignments were changed.  But...bless his heart for going above and WAY beyond the duty of a Home Teacher.*

2 comments:

  1. Oh Catherine, you're so welcome!!!! I hope you are doing well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha, i love that you still wearing curlers. don't worry, i do that sometimes too. if i'm feeling up to the challenge! ;)
    what a lovely quote. i think this was all such a blessing to have them come to you with words of comfort. loved reading this girl!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger