12.19.2011

Be Of Good Cheer


"Be of Good Cheer"

This is a phrase in the scriptures that I have loved and come to seek out in my scripture study. It is a phrase that I came to learn and love during my experience in Psi, the LDS sorority I was a part of for a year and a half. Our guiding principle was Doctrine & Covenants 68:6 and it reads, "Wherefore, be of good cheer and do not fear; for I the Lord am with you and will stand by you and ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ. That I am the Son of the Living God. That I was, that I am, and that I am to come." Yesterday in Relief Society, we had a Christmas program. Six girls read six different scriptures and bore their testimonies of what was taught in the scriptures about the Savior, Jesus Christ, then each member of the Relief Society presidency read a quote or scripture and bore testimony about the Savior. Something that one of the girls said really had an impact on me. She talked about how it makes Christmas so much more meaningful if we look at the big picture of the Savior's life. We can focus on His birth, but we should also focus on His mission and His atoning sacrifice. The chance that we have to be able to live with Him again, because He has "overcome the world." That is such a wonderful reason to "be of good cheer." After sharing a few scriptures and talking about an experience I had a couple years ago at this time of year,  I talked about the guiding principle scripture--Doctrine & Covenants 68:6--and how it had blessed my life, knowing that the Savior lives and knows me. He will stand by us through every little heartache and big trial we go through. All He wants for us is to be happy and find joy in this life.

This morning, I was thinking about a lot of things. My dad woke me up early and told me that my Uncle Gary passed away unexpectedly this morning of a heart attack, leaving my Aunt Ann and my two cousins, Philip and Isaac, during this Christmas season. Though their family is not of my faith, I was getting ready for work and I had the most overwhelming feeling that my Uncle Gary was very happy now. I knew that he would want us to "be of good cheer".  I feel very strongly that the Savior will welcome my Uncle Gary with open arms and that the Savior will also encircle Aunt Ann and my cousins with His love. At this time of year and always, it is important to remember all of the things that can bring us "good cheer" amidst tribulation. I love this time of year to reflect not only on the birth of Jesus Christ, but to reflect on His life and all He has done for us individually.  

1 comment:

  1. i'm so sorry for your loss, but i just admire your positivity and warm knowledge so much with the after life, and just how we should embrace each day. thank you for the lovely reminder!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger