10.12.2011

Banana-rama: A story of Pinterest cookies.

Last Thursday, I had this brilliant idea in my head the whole day. I was going to come home after my test, eat some dinner, and make some banana bread. We had some really ripe bananas that needed to be used up and banana bread has to be one of my favorite things in the world, so it was the perfect plan. But as I started to pull out ingredients, I remembered we didn't have any eggs or any butter. (I know, I know. How did this happen? Our house kind of falls apart when my dad is on business trips.) So I was frantic. I knew I needed to use the bananas up, but instead of going to the store to get eggs and butter, I checked out my recipes on Pinterest to see if there was anything I could do. I came across this healthy cookie recipe that used bananas and I was so excited that I could finally put a recipe to use that I had found on Pinterest!

Except, we didn't have almond meal (who in their right mind buys that?) and we didn't have any dried fruit. So I simply substituted with flour, because I was sure it had the same consistency as almond meal. And of course, cookies aren't really cookies unless they have some form of chocolate in them, so out came the chocolate chips.

As the Kitchen-Aid mixed this concoction together, I started to worry that these cookies would not be the delicious treat I had wanted all day long. But I had faith that they would be. I was only going to make three cookies because I didn't want to make a huge batch if they weren't good.

Here's what they looked like before they went in the oven:


Here's what they looked when they came out:


Pure disgusting-ness.
Seriously.

I know they aren't supposed to have sugar in them, but boy, they needed it. Plus, they were hard as a rock.

At this point, my dad walks in the door after being gone all week and he had a bunch of groceries. Including eggs and butter.

Lightbulb. (in a Gru voice)

I would just put the eggs and butter in along with sugar like a regular chocolate chip cookie recipe. I was so excited that I could salvage these cookies! I started saying, "Betty Crocker had to start somewhere, guys! I'm going to make the best cookies ever!!" My family was already thinking I was crazy for making these cookies and now they were laughing hysterically. I didn't think it was so funny. After all, I had a reputation to uphold. I like to think I'm a pretty good cook and I don't like to fail in the kitchen. I was determined to make these "pinterest cookies" turn into a success.

The batter was mixed again and looking good, but I was only going to do two cookies again before I made the rest of the batch.

Here's the second attempt before they went in the oven:


Here's the second attempt after they came out of the oven:


Long story short(er), the rest of the batter ended up in the garbage disposal.

Lessons learned? Don't try to substitute things in a recipe that you think have the "same consistency"
 and just GO TO THE STORE to get the butter and eggs you needed in the first place.
Hmph.

PS: Psych Season 6 starts tonight!! Can't wait!!!!

4 comments:

  1. I laughed so hard as I read this! Not at you, just at the situation. That situation happened to me far too many times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor banana bread batter. May you RIP. Ha. Pinterest gets the best of us sometimes, doesn't it? I have a list that is literally a page long of things I need to make. I am glad you went for it! Keep on trying!

    ♥Abbey
    Along Abbey Road
    Enter to win my $25 LOFT gift card giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do eggs and butter missing from this house have to do with your dad missing? They were just plain awful and I believe I ended up cleaning up the Kitchen AID.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger