9.29.2011

"Work builds and refines character..." -D. Todd Christofferson

"Hard-earned achievement brings a sense of self-worth. Work builds and refines character, creates beauty, and is the instrument of our service to one another and to God. A consecrated life is filled with work, sometimes repetitive, sometimes menial, sometimes unappreciated but always work that improves, orders, sustains, lifts, ministers, inspires." 
-Elder D. Todd Christofferson-

I absolutely love this quote. During the summer, it was on the plaques in the elevators at work and I would read it every day I would come into work. This quote has been a good reminder to me this week that I am in a refining process, an endless refining process. Especially at this point in my life. I have been getting sick of my routine, but I have still been feeling like I'm not doing enough. Long, long days filled with work, school, making visits and phone calls, meetings, activities, family things, and then somewhere in there meals and sleep. One of my friends told me last week that I wasn't living a normal, happy life and I needed to have more fun. I do find joy in my days and I am endlessly blessed, but right now, I understand that "fun" may not come first in my life. I have other priorities. I have also come to grips with the fact that right now, I will have a lot of times where I feel like the things I'm trying to do and the efforts I make count for nothing in some people's books. I know there are things I could be doing better. I understand that completely (I will admit I am a perfectionist to a fault at times), but most of the time, I do feel like I am offering all that I can and doing the best that I can. Some days, I truly feel like I am hanging on for dear life as I try to balance everything and have everything run smoothly. And a lot of the times, I do drop the ball in this juggling act. I just want to say sorry to my friends and associates who feel like I have dropped the ball and I want to say sorry to my friends who feel my efforts aren't good enough. We are all trying our best and I hope you can be patient with me at this time and hopefully soon, I will learn how to juggle perfectly.
Hats off to those of you who do manage your time and life so well!

5 comments:

  1. Love the quote, Catherine! Make sure you always make a little time for yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this quote! I have to remind myself of it quite often when work becomes crazy and I remember that socail workers get paid very little. It's still worth it to do a good, honest day's work!

    ~ Angela
    grahamandangela.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Catherine - First of all I love this quote! I am always in need of constant reminder of how important work is. I often slip into this fantasy of being an heiress and not having to work so I can do more fun things! But it's importance is laid out so clearly!
    I am sure that everything you do touches somebody in some way. Even if it's not the person you meant it to be. There are people who are affected just by your great example. Remember what Brother Peterson said about doing your best.. "your best is all that we ask" and I am positive you are doing your very best. I just wanted to say how grateful and blessed I feel to have had you as my relief society president this summer. Every girl in our ward is! I hope you can feel the love we all have for you. You are a supreme extraordinary being. Thank you for your friendship. Your love that surrounds us all, your service, your commitment, and your great example of faith. You are so beautiful. Please try not to burn yourself out!! Love yourself =] I LOVE YOU! xo, Kensie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quote! Life does get a little boring some times, but that just makes the more fun times even better. Look after yourself :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so hard finding the right routine, the right balance that allows you to fit all the things you need and want to fit in and give each person/thing the time it deserves!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger