7.31.2011

Think Cary Grant.

Our little town does outdoor movies on Friday nights in the Summer. As my siblings and I were driving home from Salt Lake after saying our goodbyes to our DC family, we saw the movie in the park and stopped for a little while. I wish we could've stayed for the whole thing, but Hope and Thomas had early morning commitments the next day.

What movie was it?
It was my favorite movie, Sleepless in Seattle.
Cute, huh?
Sounds like The Wedding Planner cute movie in the park style...huh?
I thought so too.
Too bad I didn't have my brown M&Ms...or Matthew McConaughey.

ANYWAY....

I could watch this movie over and over again and never get sick of it. It is so witty and just perfectly executed. All of it. From the opening credits and Jimmy Durante singing "As Time Goes By" to the end where Tom Hanks grabs Meg Ryan's hand..."It was like magic."

The part that we watched was when Tom Hanks and his friend are eating lunch and the friend is giving him dating tips. THIS is the part that has sparked my conspiracy theory about dating and why it is the way it is today.

I think that this particular scene changed dating. There's also a part where Jona says, "They ask you out." But back to this scene, the friend talks about how women ask guys out and how they split the check 50/50. Tom Hanks...being a gentleman...says he could never let a woman pay for dinner. The friend says they'd throw a parade for him...he'd be man of the year. Then Tom Hanks expresses his fears about asking Victoria out. The friend tells him to think Cary Grant. And THAT is the part that guys did not listen to.

(Also, after that...Tom Hanks calls Victoria and she basically sets up the time and place, etc.)

Do you all follow me?

Well, I have been frustrated with dating for a couple years now. The fact that guys don't step up to the plate and take responsibility. The fact that they think a date has to be expensive and they don't want to spend the money. The fact that they won't ask girls out and expect girls to ask them out. The fact that guys are losing some of qualities of a gentleman. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't like asking guys out. I even had my friend's brother tell me that he felt comfortable having girls ask him out and he wasn't interested in girls when they were forward. I feel like it's important for the guy to show the initiative and they can ask out on the first few dates. And I know some fabulous guys who do not fit that mold and are truly impressive and do extraordinary things on dates, ask girls out all the time, etc. But lately, I just think that guys need to "Think Cary Grant" a little more. Be debonair and creative and ask girls out more. Show more respect and realize that you don't have to break the bank to go on a date. Of course, girls need to make themselves available and presentable too and I'm not saying it's just guys that need to work on their dating skills. We all could do better.


Thanks for reading my disorganized rant/weird conspiracy theory.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I am hearing you...but when the guy is shy and likes girls to make the first move it's hard. I am currently debating wether or not to ask a guy out....not easy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger