7.13.2011

Harry Potter 7, Part 2.


I was in Mrs. Wakely's 3rd Grade class and it must have been October. I remember being entranced every single day during the half hour Mrs. Wakely would read to us. I was completely drawn in to this world of broomsticks and owls and Gringott's and Hogwarts and Diagon Alley. I remember back then that people weren't sure of the identity of J.K. Rowling, but I remember thinking that J.K. Rowling had the best imagination I had ever encountered. I immediately identified with Hermione and I always made sure I was her when we would play Harry Potter at recess. I can still remember running on the "Big Toy" (our name for our playground) shrieking as my friend pretended to be Voldemort. Less than two years later, the movie came out and it was all almost as good as I had imagined. When I turned 11, I was secretly disappointed I didn't get a Hogwarts letter in the mail.




{Almost 10 years ago. Seeing Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone 
with Grandma and Grandpa Newman}

Through the years, I've read the books countless times, purchased several tickets (I think I saw the 5th movie three times in theaters), and gone to many midnight events to get the newest Harry Potter books and see the newest Harry Potter movies.  (I gave up my tickets to HP7 Part 1 Midnight Showing, because I was swamped with homework. That was a HUGE sacrifice.) As I got older, I appreciated Dumbledore's wisdom more and loved the symbolism used throughout the books. I've even used the following Albus Dumbledore quote in a Relief Society lesson: "It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that." 

{Awkward years. Gotta love em.
Thankfully...we grew out of them (kinda),
as you can see in the next picture.}




Tomorrow night, I'll be going to my last Harry Potter midnight showing. And I feel like a little bit of my childhood is slipping away from me as this series ends for me once again. I cried after finishing the seventh book. I've grown up with these characters and these actors. I've dreamed about going to Hogwarts. I have watched and read these stories over and over again. Harry Potter will always hold a special place in my heart. 


"Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home." -J.K. Rowling

1 comment:

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger