2.08.2011

"I thought it would be a good experience." -Thomas

Last night, I came out of my room after studying and doing assignments and I heard the following conversation going on between my mom and Thomas.

"Do you need a lunch tomorrow?"
"No, I am on lunch duty."
"Lunch duty? What does that mean?"
"Well, I signed up to be a lunch worker this week. And you know what? I thought it would be a good experience, but..."
"What do you have to do?"
"Well, I had to leave class before lunch for my training. We wheeled out all this frozen food and heated it up. Then you serve it. That's all."
"Do you wear a hair net?"
"Nope. We wear those cool hats like at In-N-Out. It's not as fun as I thought it would be, but that's okay."

Of course, the dialogue was going on in between bursts of laughter.
My brother. The lunch dude of the week.

Isn't he a sweetheart? Seeking out good experiences and serving, even if it's just lunch duty.

It made me think about the good experiences I'm seeking in my life and evaluate what I'm seeking right now. I thought of all the times I've said, "Well, I thought it would be a good experience, but it coulda been better." Surprisingly, in my nineteen-and-eight-months life, I've had a lot of experiences that fit in both of those categories.

Good experiences are ones like putting yourself out there & trying something new, loving what you do in life (school, career, extra currics, etc.), sharing special moments with family and friends, walking out your last final, performing even the smallest acts of kindness, and many more.

"Coulda Been Better" experiences are ones like growing gardens*,  almost every  ALL blind dates (thus far), not doing as well as you hoped on a test, car accidents, slipping on ice, etc.

"...All these things shall give thee experience and shall be for 

YOUR good."

 -D&C 122:7 (emphasis added)

I am so thankful for the chance to have experiences, both good and bad on this Earth. I am alive and I have the chance to make choices and learn. I am humbled and comforted by the promise that everything will work out for our good as long as we seek the good in life.

What are some of YOUR good experiences 
and "coulda been better" experiences?


*Imagine the world if we ALL had green thumbs...sigh. I thought about the other day as I was trying to nurse my desk plant at work back to health.

2 comments:

  1. that scripture always gets me... it's hard to believe that the really crappy experiences will be for my good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think i needed to hear this today :) especially after my miserable test score.

    loving your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger