1.21.2011

It's a Friday, thank goodness!



















I know we all have our days, but I feel like I shouldn't really have a lot of "days". You see, I am very blessed. I have so much to be thankful for-a good job, supportive family, getting an education, wonderful friends, and many more things. But something else that has made me realize that I need to be more grateful ...  the lovely strangers we rub shoulders with in this world.

Yesterday morning, I was sitting in my Natural Disasters class with almost every seat full. I kept zoning out between phrases like "convection currents are the result" and "energy is stored in the rocks of the crust" and the room kept going up in heat from all the bodies in it. Suddenly, the back door opened and I came back to reality as a girl who was blind started her search for a seat. I kept scanning the room to see if there was an empty place for her and then, a boy sitting in front of me stood up and directed the girl to his seat. I was so impressed with his concern and care for this girl and he certainly received gentleman points for that.

Back in November, I felt like the world was caving in on a Friday morning and I was up at the Speech and Hearing clinic, doing some observations. a very nice girl sitting next to me started talking to me about the clients we were observing and suddenly I found myself talking to her about my week and how broken I felt. This girl was a huge blessing to me; it makes me cry just thinking about her and her sincerity as she talked with me and listened to me. This was a girl I'd never met before and I'd probably never see again, but she took the time to talk with me and make me feel important. Last night at the Institute, I saw her briefly and she remembered everything that had happened and wanted a life update. After we talked for a little bit about what we were doing, I gave her a hug and told her how much her kindness meant to me and thanked her. In the big scheme of things, this act of kindness was probably just a blip on her radar, but it meant the world to me.

These two instances along with many others {smiles on the city streets going into work or someone opening the door for you or someone offering you a word of encouragement} have made me remember that there is a LOT of good in the world. I think it is no mistake that God has put so many wonderful people on this Earth and given them wonderful qualities. Sometimes, we have days where we need our faith restored in the good old fashioned virtues and manners and then we rub shoulders with these amazing people and we remember there is good in this world, there's a lot of kindness and love being spread. There are many lovely people in this world, and I want them to know how grateful I am that I get to constantly cross paths with them.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post, Catherine. It's true, we are so blessed! And thanks for always commenting on my blog. It makes my day every time. :) Have a wonderful rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger