10.03.2010

The essence of me.

I think it was Mother's Day when I was ten years old. We had bought my mom something from Deseret Book and it came with a Jenny Oaks Baker Sampler CD. I had a blue CD/cassette stereo that sat next to my bed. At night, I would plug some huge headphones into the blue stereo and listen to everything from the Mulan cassette to my Backstreet Boys cd as I fell asleep. That night of Mother's Day, I decided to listen to the Jenny Oaks Baker CD. One of the songs completely captivated me. I kept hitting the buttons to go back to it and listen to it over and over again. And I couldn't fall asleep for a long time, because I was so mesmerized by this song.

I had been playing the piano for almost three or four years at this point. All I wanted to do was learn this song. I told my piano teacher, Sharon, and she told me to wait one more year. I bought the music anyway and started to plunk it out myself.

Finally, after one of our recitals, Sharon said to me, "What would you like to play now?" I had brought my copy of my song, all ready to go. As usual, I stood at the side of her piano while she played through a few songs and finally my song. I listened to each of them, even though I knew what I wanted to play. What I had to play. I started to learn my song.

I was diligent in practicing and I still listened to the Jenny Oaks Baker CD over and over again. I wanted my piano version to sound as beautiful as hers did.

I performed my song at two recitals during seventh grade. Once with sheet music, once memorized.

To this day, I still have this song memorized and play it very often. I think it is the very essence of who I am and my absolute favorite song.

So what is the song that I have eight different versions of on my iPod?

Clair De Lune by Claude Debussy. 
(Also can be spelled Claire De Lune)

When I was a junior in high school, Sharon left with her husband on a Senior Couple Mission. After the last recital, she wrote me a note that said,

"Dear Catherine, 
I have enjoyed teaching you for these many years. Remember to always play from your heart and continue to find joy in playing the piano. As much joy as you found in playing Clair De Lune.
Love, Sharon"

In my opinion, Clair De Lune is one of the most beautiful songs ever composed and it will always be a huge part of me. A huge part of why I love music and playing the piano. Learning this song took me to a level of playing that I never thought I would get to and I gained an undying love of the piano because of this song.


1 comment:

  1. hi :) i'm assuming that the original of this song was violin and piano? lets learn it together? okay. also, i've had NOTHING to do today so what have i been doing? reading your blog. yep. i love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger