9.13.2010

"The eyes are the mirror of the soul." -Yiddish Proverb

Favorite Spanish pick-up line: Sus ojos están más linda que las estrellas en el cielo.


(Your eyes are more beautiful than the stars in the sky. But that sounds so much better when an attractive man is saying that to you in Spanish.)





Last week, I was googling different eye colors the other night for my Behavioral Stats Homework....
Okay....don't ask why. But I somehow came across this nursery rhyme...


Blue eyes to Heaven rise. 
Grey eyes go to Paradise. 
Green eyes in Hell tell lies. 
Black eyes in Purgatory get wise.
— French Nursery rhyme





Sounds kind of morbid for a Nursery Rhyme? I think so, especially for the green eyed people out there.



Then at sorority on Thursday, we were having an introduction thing for all the new pledges. We had them stand at the front of the room and tell us: their name, which college they go to, their favorite color, and then each of them were asked a different question which our membership/pledge officer came up with. It seemed as though she was cycling through three different questions: what is your favorite car?, who is your hero and why?, and what animal you would be? Typical questions. Then she got to one of the girls and asked...



"If you were with somebody and were in complete silence and they could only look at your eyes, what would you want your eyes to say about you?"



I had a laughing attack for about five minutes along with everyone else. Talk about an awkward scenario/question. 



But then I was thinking about all of these things to do with eyes later and the question Kenzie asked made more sense to me. I think it was just worded in a weird way and I was extremely slap-happy/tired at the time. I thought about how grateful I am that I can see. The eyes are an amazing part of the body and probably my favorite feature in people. Eyes are so beautiful and allow us to see the beauty around us. Seeing is a complex process, but it is something that the body is constantly able to do without much strain or problem (unless you need glasses/contacts). But actually seeing people and things for what they truly are can be a hard process. I thought about the saying that the eyes are the mirror of the soul and it reminded me of a quote from a talk a few years back by Elaine Dalton.




"As I look into your eyes and see your shining faces, I marvel that you can be so good, so strong, and so pure in a world that is so challenging. I am reminded of a poem my grandfather used to say to me when I was about your age. He said:


'You don't have to tell how you live each day;
You don't have to tell if you work or play;
A tried and true barometer stands in its place—
You don't have to tell, it will show in your face. . . .
If you live close to God and His infinite grace—
You won't have to tell, it will show in your face.' "


I hope that I am living in a way that if I was ever in a situation where it was completely silent and someone were to look into my green eyes, they would be able to tell that I am striving to pursue meaningful things and that I "live close to God and His infinite grace."

1 comment:

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger