6.02.2010

Twenty Six Years.

Last week was my parents' twenty-sixth anniversary. I felt bad that they weren't able anywhere special or do anything extra spectacular due to my hospital visit for a procedure the next morning.

Here's the basics of their story...

They went to junior high together, got to know each other better in high school, and dated a little bit their senior year. When they went to different colleges, they still got together to do things and went to homecomings, concerts, and other various things together. Then my dad left on an LDS mission to Paraguay after his first semester and my mom wrote him the entire time. A month after he got back, he proposed to her. 

Every time he tells me this, he says, "It wasn't my plan to come home and propose right off. I was going to get more schooling in and have a steady job. But I knew I couldn't do all of that without your mom in my life and the Lord had different plans for me."

They had a 10 month long engagement, went to school, worked, and only spent weekends together. Then on May 25th, 1984, they were married in the Salt Lake Temple for time and all eternity!

Twenty six years and three kids later, they are still just as cute as they were on their first date. 

Don't ya think? 

(This is a video I made for their twenty fifth anniversary.)

My mom gave my dad a card and my dad came home from work with twenty four red roses and a card along with the pedestals for our front loader washer and dryer (we're finishing up our laundry room). And though that doesn't sound very romantic, I watched them the next morning as I woke up from the anesthetic. They were sitting in chairs near my hospital bed and holding hands while watching me. They were both so concerned about me and stayed by my side. 

Their number one priority always has been and always will be our family. I start to tear up when I think about how completely selfless and totally compassionate my parents are. They could've been complaining about not being able to do anything for their anniversary or been upset about having to take time out of their days to take me to the hospital. But they weren't. Though my head was still swimming and I wasn't fully aware of my surroundings, they told me that I told each of them how much I loved them (at the speed of about ninety mph) and that I was so glad that they were there with me.

I can't think of more incredible earthly parents than mine. 
One day, I hope that I can have a love that is as simple, strong, and true as theirs.

Love you, Mom and Dad!

1 comment:

  1. I still remember when your parents got married! They gave us little wrist corsages and we got to pass out little thank you? notes. It's hard to believe that was 26 years ago!
    On a different note, why did you have to have surgery? I hope everything is ok!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger