6.12.2010

Now Starring...YOU.

Life isn't divided into genres. 
It's a horrifying, romantic, tragic, comical, 
science-fiction cowboy detective [movie]. "
-Alan Moore


Sometimes, I feel like I'm in a movie.

Don't you?

PLAY. 

Warner Bros. Pictures Present...

Catherine. 

(Working title. If you think of something better, let me know.)

I check the mirror one more time to make sure everything is in place...the hair, the skirt, the blouse, the makeup...Looking good for work. Grab the keys, walk out the door, and pull out of the driveway. Cut to ten minutes later...There is a light drizzle as I'm getting off the freeway onto the Beck Street exit in the early morning. While passing the refineries and construction sites, the Salt Lake City skyline comes into view. I'm in the ranks of vehicles filled with men and women in their finest clothes. Among all of the neutral colored luxury vehicles, my teal-green corolla was sticking out like a sore thumb. 
And, of course, an appropriate song starts to play on the radio, 

Montage of me walking to work, on the job, 
and a voice-over (happy with a twinge of melancholy) about my life right now.

I'm walking out of work five hours later, feeling exhausted. And it's still raining. However, I try to add a little spring to my step and a smile to my face as I walk back to my car this Friday afternoon. 
The noise of the city would be subdued by "Raindrops are Falling On My Head"  
playing in the background.

PAUSE.

Get up. Move around. Get some popcorn or [insert favorite treat here].

An hour later when I get home and have lunch, 
I have a fifteen minute case of the "poor-me's" 
(at least it was not the cold and allergies my family has. BIG knock on wood) 
and tell my mom all about it. 
She didn't say much, 
because she was swimming in a sea of kleenex and allergy medicine. 
Then she fell asleep. 
So I sat there thinking more about 
all the should-be-thought-of-as-insignificant things 
I was feeling bad about, 
then I was reminded of this clip from The Holiday
  


(Don't we all want someone as witty and honest as Arthur in our lives?)

It made me realize that I need to be a better leading lady of my life. I never know who is watching and I want to not only act like a leading lady, but be a leading lady. We see all of these movies and everything works out just perfectly. But no matter if the end leads us to a big smile on our face or crocodile tears, these movies that work out perfectly leave us wanting more in one way or another. But I realized that right now in my life, there are so many reasons I should be grateful and happy 
(family, friends, religion, education, a wonderful job, etc). 

So, I choose to be happy and no one is going to stop me. I'm going to be a better leading lady. I'm going to have the gumption to do what I want, move on from things that are dragging me down, and look for the best in everything.

I hope you will be the leading man or lady of your own life. You have so much to offer both yourself and your audience. More people are watching than you think and you have the choice to make your life exciting or dull. So go ahead and be the star you were born to be in "your own life movie".

PLAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger