5.25.2010

"I have learnt how to live..." -Sabrina (1954)

"I have learnt how to live: how to be in the world and [not] of the world, and not just to stand aside and watch. And I will never, never again run away from life. Or from love, either." 
-Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina (1954)

During the last half of my senior year, every ten minute morning drive in my car to school consisted of me praying to my Father in Heaven for direction. Praying about my life, what my future would be, where I would go to school, help on tests, basically everything. And one of those mornings, I received the answer to go to the University of Utah. As I've mentioned plenty of times before, it wasn't the answer I was expecting, but it's been one of the best experiences, especially living on campus, and it reaffirmed my belief that everything happens for a reason. I know that I am truly meant to be at the U and that leap of faith has been a huge blessing in my life.


Going to the University of Utah has taught me many lessons about life, about love, about my faith, and about being confident in who I am. Here are just some of the lessons I learned:


1. God does care about you and look out for you. Through the highs of dancing my way in the rain to a shuttle stop after finishing a long day of classes while listening to an iPod blasting The Beatles…(Did I really do that? Most definitely. Should I have cared about people seeing me do this? Probably, but I didn’t) and the lows of sitting alone in my room on Friday nights while everyone else was at parties, I could rely on my true friends to be there for me-Heavenly Father and my Savior. They know your needs and They will bless you when you come to them in faith.


2. Always be involved in a good cause, no matter how small or great. Be involved in extra curriculars. Ask your professors if you can help them in any way. Smile at everyone you pass on campus. Meet new people. Join the LDS Sorority at your Institute (another one of the best decisions I've made in the past year). Putting yourself out there can be really difficult, but you always come out a better and more refined person.


3. People are definitely put in your life for a reason. Roommates, people on my floor in my building, friends in my classes, my Psi sisters, friends from high school, professors. Everyone has the ability to touch our lives for good and everyone I've come in contact with in the past year has touched my life for good in several ways. I also learned (and I'm still learning) to love everyone around me, no matter who they were, and look for the divinity within them.


4. My family is the greatest support system in the world. They are the source of my greatest joys in life. They are my shoulders to cry on and my "possey". They have taught me the most important lessons...everything from being willing to share my testimony to cleaning the bathrooms.


5. Speaking of the bathrooms, I will be forever grateful for cleaning supplies and the showers/faucets/toilets in my family's home that actually work and don't leak all over creation.  


6. Home cooked meals are the best meals ever. Nine months of a meal plan, no kitchens in the dorms, and only a mini fridge and microwave set-up in my room taught me that fact. 

7. Never be afraid to just shine and be your wonderful yourself. Love who you are and people will love you! Be confident in your abilities and talents. Every single person is capable of living up to the incredible potential within themselves, they just need to know that and own it. I hope whoever reads this will know that you CAN do anything, just be yourself and everything falls into place.

I could continue to list and tell many stories about this, but this blog so far has already chronicled many of the lessons of my first year of college that I have learned along my pursuits and blunderings in my life. And though I will never be a freshman again, I still a freshman to life and I think I always will be. There is still so much to learn and so much life has to offer me, but I can't wait to swallow these experiences whole and see what life has in store for me along this beautiful, crazy, stressful, confusing, lovely, spiteful, wonderful, and meaningful journey of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger