2.17.2010

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose."-Dr. Seuss

So, I love socks. Wearing really cute socks just make me so happy. They are one of my favorite gifts to receive. I received a few pairs of socks for Christmas and all of them have holes in them now.

Why? 

Well, remember my feet and how big they are?

They are pretty big. Kind of huge. Really odd and bearing a striking resemblance to skis.
You get the picture.

So when I was at Gap about a month ago, I told them, as I bought a pair of socks with my purchase, about the holes in the argyle socks I had received from there for Christmas.

The sales associate stared at me for a second, "What size of shoe do you wear?"
"Anywhere between 9.5 and 11," I sort of mumbled back, a little embarrassed.
"Well, there's your problem. You need to buy the socks that have the Size 9-11 label."
"Oh okay," I replied.
But what I really wanted to say was, "What?! Is there such a thing and why have I not known about it? Whatever happened to one size fits all? I have never even seen a Size 9-11 pair of socks. Does such a thing even exist?!"

She left the counter, found a pair of socks with the label, and switched them out with the ones I had planned on buying. 

I left the store in amazement.

Today I am wearing the size 9-11 socks and it reminded me of that day almost a month ago. There is no question my feet are big and odd. Sometimes I can be so clumsy and I honestly like to think it's my feet to blame, though it's probably not. But as much as I complain about them, I really am grateful for my feet, no matter how weird they look or big they are. I can walk, I can run, I can dance and I can do so many things because of my feet. They get me from place to place free of pain or complication... knock on wood. Sometimes, like now times, I feel like I'm in the dark about where I'm going in life. I have a basic idea, but don't we all wish that we knew exactly how everything is going to work out, details and all? And that's when I have to remember this quote...


"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the one who'll decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go!" Dr. Seuss


...and that I, Catherine Anne Newman, can keep going. I don't need to know all the little details. All I need to know is that I trust in the Lord and His plan for me, wherever I go and whatever I do. Oh the places I can go with His help! 

I can and will confidently go in the direction of my dreams (to paraphrase/quote Thoreau)!

Also, I had a few people ask me about this...The Shoe Fit  actually is a true story with names changed and what I was told by the He involved in this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger