2.04.2010

"Today's tools of temptation require higher standards."-Brother Gary Poll

I absolutely love my Institute class, Book of Mormon Alma 30-Moroni. 

You may be asking yourselves, "But I thought she loved the class last semester more than anything?

Well, this class is just superb, excellent, phenomenal. 

I feel so privileged to be in this class with an amazing instructor, Brother Gary Poll. He always says things that I need to hear and answers to my prayers always come through the comments people make and the lessons taught in this class. 

For those of you who went to high school with me, Brother Poll reminds me of a combination of Brother McConkie and Brother Barlow-hilarious and really spiritual all at the right times. 

Yesterday, two things that profoundly struck me as we did kind of a whirlwind summary and discussion of Alma 42-52. 

The first was when we talked about Captain Moroni. 

Side note: Girls, do you not just love Captain Moroni? He is the man of my dreams and I hope to marry someone with the qualities of Moroni. I know it's a tall order, but I sure like to think he's out there somewhere, maybe getting ready to go on a mission, serving a mission or looking for me too. 

Anyway....When we read Alma 43:54, we talked about that even though Moroni had the opportune moment to kill and get revenge against their enemies, he showed mercy toward them. This is something I could definitely be better at, I need to "love those around [me], no matter who they are."

The second was when we talked about Lehonti and Amalickiah (number one villain of the Book of Mormon). 
Here's what happened... Lehonti was asked three times to come down from his position of safety on a hill to meet Amalickiah to combine their armies, then finally agreed to meet him halfway and through Amalickiah's deception and poisoning by degree, Lehonti died and Amalickiah became in charge.

It's easy to make the analogy of Amalickiah to Satan's tactics. He will work on you and work on you, then by small degrees bring you to a lower level and eventually you will not be free or in charge as he once promised. Your happiness and control of your life will be taken away by Satan.

As we read the chapters, I found little phrases that were good reminders for me and exactly what I needed to read.
(funny how that works, right?)

"fight valiantly for [your] freedom from bondage." -Alma 51: 21 
"the Lord cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance" -Alma 45:16 
"all those who were true believers in Christ took upon them, gladly, the name of Christ...because of their belief in Christ who should come." -Alma 46: 15

"stand in readiness" -Alma 51:36

Aren't these great reminders?

I find myself on a day to day basis, struggling to always stand as a witness and to constantly be strengthening my testimony. And yesterday, I realized that I do have people in my life that are watching my decisions and looking to me for an example. I decided that I would renew my commitment to not rationalize or allow little distractions to take me away from my meaningful pursuits. I will not accept anything less than the best.

Does this mean I don't make mistakes? 

Certainly not. 

I am far from perfect, but I am resolute about trying to be better and even stronger in my beliefs...just as these amazing heroes of the Book of Mormon.

As I grow up, I want to become more like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger