2.07.2010

"Remember three months from this date. Good things are in store for you." -Fortune Cookie

Last November, I decided to go home one Friday night to spend time with the family and have some delicious food. We ended up getting take-out from Pei Wei, which truly was delicious, and as with all Chinese restaurants, they gave us fortune cookies with our take-out order.



The only thing I love about fortune cookies is the fortune. I could care less about the cookie. In fact, I always end up smashing it to smithereens before I pull out the fortune. I wouldn't call myself superstitious, but I believe in the fortunes that come with fortune cookies. I know it's corny and the ambiguous fortunes could be true for anyone. However, I still like to think they will come true and when they actually do, it just reinforces my silly belief.

So back on November 6th, I smashed the fortune cookie after a satisfying meal and read the following words,

"Remember three months from this date. Good things are in store for you."

Being my corny self, I kept the fortune and three months from the day I opened the fortune cookie, I set an alarm on iCal to remind me about this fortune.

Yesterday, the alarm went off and I laughed. I had completely forgotten about it. At the time I set the alarm, I thought to myself that the good things would be more along the lines of maybe a valentine for Valentine's Day and having a job and so many other things.

But none of these things have happened quite yet.

However, I reflected some more on what has happened in my life in the past three months and everything that happened to me yesterday. And really good things have happened to me. When I checked my computer last night and the alarm had gone off, I thought about the day I had...

-I had been at my LDS Sorority retreat. I can already tell that this is a decision I will not regret. These impressive and amazing girls I have met and the friendships I made at this retreat are honestly an answer to prayers, just what I needed. I am so thankful for their examples, testimonies, and their willingness to reach out so quickly to become my friend. I am so excited that I get to be a part of this organization.

-My Grandpa turned 70. I drove out to their house for a late lunch/dinner party and it was such a fun afternoon. I saw my family, puppy, and was able to talk to everyone...until I fell asleep in front of the fireplace during all the commotion of singing, cake, and presents. How did this happen? I'm not sure, but I bet it has something to due with the fact I had very little sleep at the retreat. So when I woke up, my family, aunt, and cousin were having cake and then getting ready to leave. But since I had my own car, I decided to stay and clean up. After I cleaned up, I sat and talked to my grandparents for almost two hours about everything. This was such a special experience for me to talk to them, hear their advice, and tell them about my life. I would be nothing without the incredible support and examples of my family.

-I came back to the dorms and was so surprised. My roommate, Rosie, had finished our Valentine's decorations, cleaned our bathroom, AND folded my laundry. She didn't have to do any of this (well, the bathroom probably needed to be cleaned, but I was planning on doing it) and yet she did all of this work while I was gone. I am so thankful for her friendship and constant service to me. She is a fantastic roommate, workout partner, and friend. I'm so glad that I have been able to get to know her.

(Decorated living room with Christmas decoration remnants...tinsel, snowflakes, and lights)

Even though nothing Earth-shattering or life-changing occurred three months after I smashed the fortune cookie, I would say that good things did happen yesterday. And I have very good things in my life right now...the love and support of sorority sisters, family, a great roommate, friends. 
I am so blessed.

1 comment:

  1. I do love that fortune! I also went home this weekend and had Pei Wei!!! My favorite fortune of all time was from about two years ago, "An admirer is hiding his affection for you." To my surprise, a month or two later, I began this incredibly perfect High School romance! Ha! How oxi-moron-esque does that sound? Anyway, my fortune from the other night was "now is a lucky time for you, take a chance." After I read it, I threw the cookie away. I don't eat the cookie, either. It's not even that good.

    You are lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger