2.23.2010

"So maybe if you whistle, whistle for me." -Stephen Sondheim



Fact: I cannot wink or whistle. 


As hard as I try, I just can't wink. I look so goofy when I try. One time, I was on a date and my date told me to wink at him, I don't remember why exactly, but when I did, he burst out laughing and said, "If I were you, I would not do that again." Ever since then, I've just laughed about it. But secretly, I have practiced winking at the mirror while I was getting ready in the morning. 


(I wish I could wink as well as Audrey!)

Though people have tried to teach me, I can't whistle either. I don't know why. I kind of envy people who can whistle and especially those who can make those loud whistles using their fingers. In high school choir, we sang a medley of The Yellow Rose of Texas, Old Dan Tucker, and I think one more song?...but there was a part in it where we had to whistle. I felt so dumb being a junior in high school and not being able to whistle. But I semi-puckered up my lips, made an "O" shape and faked my way through the whistling parts.



Last year in our Broadway Concert at Abravanel Hall, we sang one of my absolute favorite songs of all the songs we ever sang in choir. It was called "Anyone Can Whistle". Here are the lyrics (Sondheim is a genius, just bytheway)...


Anyone can whistle, that's what they say-easy.
Anyone can whistle, any old day-easy.
It's all so simple.
Relax, let go, let fly.
So someone tell me, why can't I?

I can dance a tango, I can read Greek-easy.
I can slay a dragon, any old week-easy.
What's hard is simple.
What's natural come hard.
Maybe you could show me 

how to let go,
Lower my guard,
Learn to be free.
Maybe if you whistle,
Whistle for me




I don't love this song simply because I can't whistle. But I just love these words and I can relate to the meaning of this song. Something I love about the human race is that everybody is unique with their own strengths and weaknesses. One person's strength may be another person's weakness. And that's why we help each other and teach each other. I am so grateful for those people who have taught me, helped strengthen my weaknesses, and shown me "how to let go, lower my guard, learn to be free".

 But maybe if you whistle, whistle for me. 

3 comments:

  1. Maybe it's a family thing because I can't whistle or wink either! I too remember choir songs in high school that required whistling and I had to just fake my way through it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I remember that song:) Such good memories! I love this post, you are lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger