1.13.2010

"To go forth...[and]...stir them up in remembrance of their duty..." -Alma 4:19

Second Semester at the University of Utah is well under way and I am already starting to feel a little overwhelmed. But it's so good to be busy with all the good things that college brings. I feel older in a way...well, duh, I am getting older everyday...but for example, I know how to navigate campus better, I know what times shuttles come, what places on campus to avoid, etc. So far, I love my classes. They are going to be challenging but really rewarding. Some new opportunities have presented themselves and I will report more on that and my classes later when I have more time.

I just wanted to quickly write about something that has been pressing...well, not really pressing...but it has been in my thoughts for the past couple days.

About a month ago, I read the scripture of this post and it got me thinking about what exactly this duty is and the different definitions of this, how it can be applied to our life, etc. This scripture comes from when Alma the Younger sets out to be a missionary along with the sons of Mosiah. It talks about his dedication and what his goals were as he set out to do missionary work. A huge thing that I've been thinking about as an answer to this question of remembrance and duty is our duty to help others find the divinity within them and helping them reach their fullest potential.

I was having a pretty deep discussion about religion with two of my really good friends here. They are not LDS and they were asking me how I knew that God existed.

I just simply stated, "There is never a morning when I do not wake up and think about how incredible it is that our bodies can function and perform so many different things from the simple and mundane to the extraordinary. Or when I walk outside, I always think about how beautiful this world is and how it could not have just happened without someone to guide its creation. Everything on this world...you, me, science, nature...in everything there is a manifestation of God's existence."

Something to that effect...more or less.

Then one of them said, "Something in me tells me that's true. But I don't know why or how it could be. It's like I know that, but I don't know how I know it."

Then they started to talk about something else.

In my mind, I was screaming, "YES! That's the Holy Ghost! That's your premortal knowledge!"

My goal is not to convert them, but I don't hesitate to talk to them about the Gospel and I love it when I see these glimpses of divinity in them...Christlike qualities or talking about things they believe in that also happen to be what our church teaches. And I hope that someday they will eventually come to know as I know.

"O My Father" is one of my favorite Hymns and I could not get it out of my mind after the conversation I had with these friends the other night. I especially love the second verse.

O my Father, thou that dwellest
In the high and glorious place,
When shall I regain thy presence
And again behold thy face?
In thy holy habitation,
Did my spirit once reside?
In my first primeval childhood
Was I nurtured near thy side?

For a wise and glorious purpose
Thou hast placed me here on earth
And withheld the recollection
Of my former friends and birth;
Yet ofttimes a secret something
Whispered, “You’re a stranger here,”
And I felt that I had wandered
From a more exalted sphere.

I had learned to call thee Father,
Thru thy Spirit from on high,
But, until the key of knowledge
Was restored, I knew not why.
In the heav’ns are parents single?
No, the thought makes reason stare!
Truth is reason; truth eternal
Tells me I’ve a mother there.

When I leave this frail existence,
When I lay this mortal by,
Father, Mother, may I meet you
In your royal courts on high?
Then, at length, when I’ve completed
All you sent me forth to do,
With your mutual approbation
Let me come and dwell with you.

1 comment:

  1. That was beautiful. I love it. You are so inspirational and such a deep thinker. Thank you for your blog :) Love, Janee

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger