1.14.2010

Letters

Fact: I love mail. I love receiving the written word from friends and family whether it be through cards, letters, email, etc.

I also love the movie You've Got Mail. I could quote the entire thing, tell you the parts different songs of the soundtrack play, and I could never get sick of it.

There is just something so great about that movie and the exchange between Tom Hanks' and Meg Ryan's characters through emails. One of my favorite quotes is the following:

"Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life - well, valuable, but small - and sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave? So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around? I don't really want an answer. I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void. So good night, dear void." -Meg Ryan as Kathleen Kelly

Sometimes I feel like this blog is my own void in which I send my own thoughts out. And hopefully as I do send out these cosmic questions or thoughts out into the void, I'll start to see the answers to my questions and progress as I continue on my meaningful pursuits in life.

Now as for the more aimless wanderings portion of this blog, here are some letters I was writing in my head all day today to be sent out into the cosmic void. If you do happen to be one of the people in my letters and we cross paths sometime, anything offensive I might say should not be taken to heart and please do not be creeped out by anything else I may say.

Dear Campus Shuttle,
We have a love/hate relationship. Sometimes you come later than expected, right on time, or I just barely miss you and must wait for another one...but end up walking. Why can't you be a little more reliable for us all? Please? If not, please just be more reliable for me.
Love,
Catherine

Dear Inversion,
I do not like the way you make my skin dry. Or how you make everything colder. Or how I can taste you in the air. Or how you are the cause of illness. You are pretty disgusting.
Respectfully,
Catherine

Dear Salt Lake City,
I cannot see you at night due to the yucky inversion. It makes me sad that I cannot see your beautiful lights and buildings. I wish I could be outside more, but you are much too cold. I thought I was going to turn into an icicle this morning. Come back to me as soon as possible and when you do come back, I hope you are warmer and your air is cleaner!
Sincerely,
Catherine

Dear Girls that Walk Around Wearing A Coat, Boots, and Leggings,
I'm sorry, but really? It's about 5 degrees outside. Sacrificing for Fashion vs. Sacrificing Your Limbs? Not a hard decision. Please, for your sake, put some more clothes on like maybe some pants over those leggings, especially those of you that wear not even leggings, but fishnets.
Your friend,
Catherine

Dear Argentinian Foreign Exchange Student in Nutrition,
You are probably one of my favorite parts of that class. I love that you were brave enough on the first day to raise your hand and randomly introduce yourself to our professor in front of 300 students. I love that today when our professor asked what foods were good sources of iron, you were so enthusiastic about answering the question that you yelled "BEEF!!!!" as loudly as you could. And then said, "Especially from Argentinian cows!" It made me laugh and has since made my day, so thank you!
Your friend,
Catherine

Dear TA in Anatomy,
You are super attractive. You look like a combination of Heath Ledger and the cute guy in the upcoming movie "Letters To Juliet". I will be attending all of your review sessions. I can't promise I'll actually retain anything you say in your attractive voice, but I'll certainly be very attentive.
Forever yours,
Catherine

Dear Cute Guy in Nutrition,
You are also attractive. And could qualify as a werewolf friend of Jacob Black. And I could possibly want to meet you?
Just thought you should know.
Love,
Catherine

Dear Taller, Lean-Muscular Version of Michael Buble,
You certainly made my morning yesterday. It was so nice...and very bold... of you to smile and say, "Hello, Beautiful!" as you passed me by the bookstore. Admittedly, I was a little shocked by this, but thank you for the compliment. You are extremely attractive and I hope you sing just as well as Michael Buble. You would be even more attractive, if that is possible.
Love,
Catherine

Dear Lambda Delta Sigma,
I am excited to see what you, the Salt Lake City Institute Sorority, will bring me as I start this semester in the Psi Chapter. I'm a little nervous for my first meeting tonight, but I can't wait to make new friends, meet cute guys, and strengthen my testimony. Why didn't I join last semester? I was probably brain dead...or unaware of the wonderful opportunities and fun you will bring to my life! Thanks for giving me the chance to be a part of it now! Can't wait to get to know all of my future friends better tonight!
Love,
Catherine

Dear Salt Lake City Institute,
Thank you for providing me with good classes, friends, and treats. Thank you for being the place where my University ward meets on Sundays. Thank you for all you do for me and my fellow students! You are the best!
Love,
Catherine

Dear University of Utah,
As much as I love you (which is A LOT!), I cannot figure out for my life how to work on WebCT for my classes. It's very overwhelming and all of my classes are on WebCT this semester, while none of them were last semester. Also, I know I hated the size of the campus last semester, but I actually am getting quite a workout as I start to walk to classes and it is not as bad as it was! I am glad you have scheduled a Spring Break for me, because I am already worn out from my classes. But..thank you for the opportunities I have to learn from your professors and expand my horizons. Seriously though, THANK YOU!
Love,
Catherine

2 comments:

  1. How fun!!!! I had no idea you had a blog! I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You write beautifully, my dear. :) And also, I just wanted you to know that your blog header kind of inspired my new one. So thanks. :) I hope everything is going well for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger