12.13.2009

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."-Anonymous

One of my absolute favorite movies is Sabrina with Audrey Hepburn. If you have not seen it, I highly recommend you should stop reading this and go watch it. That's how great it is. It's been on my mind today, because a year ago today, I watched it as I got ready for the Christmas Dance (and today it is snowing just as hard as it was a year ago). The part that keeps replaying through my mind is when she is at cooking school in Paris and keeps thinking about David back at home.

The Professor, as he is inspecting the students' soufflés: "Too low. Too pale. Too heavy. Too low. Too high, you are exaggerating! Fair. So-so. Sloppy."
He gets to the Baron, an old man taking the course again.
The Professor: "Mm. Superb. Mon Dieu, Baron, you have not lost your touch..."
Then he looks at Sabrina's soufflé.
The Professor: "Much too low."
Sabrina looks down at her soufflé in disappointment: "I don't know what happened."
Baron St. Fontanel: "I will tell you what happened: you forgot to turn on the oven."
Sabrina: "Oh!"
Baron St. Fontanel: "A woman happily in love, she burns the soufflé. A woman unhappily in love, she forgets to turn on the oven."
Sabrina: "I might as well be reaching for the moon."
Baron St. Fontanel: "Oh, you young people are so old fashioned. Have you not heard? We are building rockets to reach the moon!"

I just think of that sweet old man and smile. Right now, I feel like Sabrina in many aspects of my life. At this point in time, I'm stuck at cooking school (college) in Paris (Salt Lake City). But whenever I feel down, I think of this part and realize that I shouldn't lower my expectations and standards to just settle for something mediocre rather than waiting for what I really want in life. Eventually, I know I'll return to home in Long Island (or Centerville) and the moon will reach for me, in other words, everything will fall into place as it should. My first final is tomorrow and I'm so nervous about it, but I know that if I try my best and shoot for the moon, even if I miss, I'll still know I have done my best be among good company in the stars. But... I'm going to go study now so I can have a chance at reaching the moon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger