12.08.2009

"It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, everywhere you go!"-Bing Crosby

Hands down, the best version of that song is the Bing Crosby version!

Okay, I know I'm procrastinating homework. But I just had to blog and then I'll get back to studying and homeworking. This morning, it snowed about 7 inches. The weird thing about living pretty much on the top of a mountain is that it snows a lot in the mornings and evenings, but sometimes in the afternoons, the sun comes out and melts some of it away. So it's becomes really icy and the roads really slick. This morning, I looked like the abominable snowman, according to Rosie, in all of my layers and coats. But I stayed warm all day long as I trekked all over campus... I'm still a little sketched out by the "trolleys" or campus shuttles, ever since that professor flew out the door on a turn.

I'm so glad Christmas time is almost here. This is a year that I am so ready for Christmas. Some years it's just sprung on me and I haven't been ready for it. But this year, I am excited that unlike elementary through high school days, I don't have any homework over the break and that I get almost a month to spend time with my family and friends. Rosie and I went all out in decorating our apartment almost a month ago and were listening to Christmas music before Thanksgiving, which is usually a sin in my book, but I couldn't help myself. We get freakishly excited every time it snows: we dance, drink hot chocolate and study in our Christmas room. We also wear ugly Christmas sweaters as much as possible...thanks to Rosie's amazing collection from Thrift Town and DI! This is how truly excited I am! I'll be done with finals next Wednesday and I'll be home on Thursday, just in time for one of my favorite things, the Viewmont Christmas Choir Concert. AHH! I just cannot wait for December 17th and all of the Christmas festivities coming my way.

Meanwhile, I cannot let all of this Christmas joy and cheer come yet. My life consists of writing, studying, writing, studying, exercising while studying, and more studying. I'll be so glad when this semester is over! It's been a really fun experience and I have learned so much, but I don't think I have worked this hard in my entire life and it's to the point where I need to move on.

Speaking of moving on...yesterday was the most horrible math test I have ever had in my life. We started series about two weeks ago. They win for the most tedious and confusing math concept in the world. This was what my test was on and I'm pretty sure I had no clue what I was doing. That test fried my brain and made me freak out even more about the final I will have on next Monday. I was shaking so bad from the test by the time I got back to the dorms and...I had a meltdown. I called my mom, of course, and she told me that I was doing the best I could and relying on the Lord and that's all you can do sometimes, no matter what the outcome is. I calmed down and just rested for a little while. But what my mom said reminded me of two quotes that are good to remember at this stressful time of finals...

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense. 
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Oh Ralphie, what would we do without your wisdom?

and...

One of My Favorite Passages in the Scriptures:

"Nevertheless the Lord seeth fit to chasten his people; yea, he trieth their patience and their faith. Nevertheless—whosoever putteth his trust in him the same shall be lifted up at the last day." -Mosiah 23:21-22

"And it came to pass that the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage. And I will also ease the burdens that are put on your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions. And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon [you] were made light, yea the Lord did strengthen [you] that [you] could bear up [your] burdens with ease, and [you] did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord." -Mosiah 24:13-15

Love these scriptures and I can't say it any better than they say it. But to conclude, finals and college are definitely ways that test your patience and faith. But these experiences have helped me draw closer to God and the Savior. I've learned to rely on them completely and they have never let me down. All you have to do is do your best and the Lord will make you equal to every challenge you face-whether it is a serious trial or a seriously long paper you should be writing at the moment, but you are blogging instead. Cough ME cough. And as Emerson said, we need to forget our blunders (no matter the outcomes of our finals which I'm sure everyone will do great on!!!) and have faith that we can do our best with the help of God and the Savior as we continue to progress in life! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! We can do it!

PS: Play-count on my iPod of Rosie and I's favorite song...Last Christmas by Wham!...416 times just these past four weeks. Yesss. :) And our favorite part that never gets old..."Happy Christmas! (whispered)"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger