10.17.2009

"But at the end of a bad time or a huge effort, I've always had-how shall I say it?-the prize at the end. My whole life shows that." -Audrey Hepburn

"How shall I sum up my life? I think I've been particularly lucky. Does that have something to do with faith also? I know my mother always used to say, 'Good things aren't supposed to just fall in your lap. God is very generous, but He expects you to do your part first.' So you have to make that effort. But at the end of a bad time or a huge effort, I've always had--how shall I say it?--the prize at the end. My whole life shows that." -Audrey Hepburn

I haven't posted in quite a while, which could be translated as I haven't had any extra time to blog. Yes, that is true. And so, please excuse this jumble of thoughts and experiences as I try to get back into the habit of blogging. Two highlights of the past couple weeks: school and going to conference with my best friends. School has been quite hectic, but I LOVE IT. Classes are great! I love my roommates (well, the one I regularly see, Rosie, and my adopted roommates-Sarah, Cameron, and Raisa). We have had some pretty fun times together and I have really discovered a lot about myself through being around them. I'm so grateful I'm living on campus and having the opportunities I'm having. I met with my counselor last week and set up my schedule for next semester. She informed me that I didn't need to be taking the class that has given me the most grief this semester--1250 Calc II--because I already filled my math requirement. So that was frustrating! But good news...I'm pretty much done with generals and the honors degree requirements! I'm really excited for next semester and the classes I'll be taking--Human Anatomy and Anatomy Lab, Nutrition, Composing A Community (Music class), and IT 2102 (another required honors class about history, etc). Now I just need to decide what I'll take for Institute, which has been another great thing in my life! I love Brother Marshall and his perspectives on The Book of Mormon. I've really started to consider going on a mission, but a lot can change in three years, so I'll see. But it's something that I've really thought about and started to plan on doing. Last week, before I came home for the week long Fall Break (yes, everyone else should be jealous of the University of Utah's WEEK long fall break :) ), I was getting ready to go to Institute and I thought to myself, "Wow! I've lived on my own for almost a month and a half and I am independent!" Although, I still had to have Sarah and Rosie take the lid off my antibiotic for me. What is it with me and opening jars/pretty much anything that requires opening? Just one of many flaws that make me human and I am so grateful for these weaknesses. Without weakness, we wouldn't be able to learn and progress as we overcome these weaknesses! Coming home for Fall Break has been so nice... I love love love Centerville in the Fall! I have loved going on walks or runs every morning in the crisp Fall air and admiring the change of the leaves. I have loved being with my best friends...my family. And going to Dairy Queen with JaNae and Laura. And going back to high school, although it was weird and made me feel somewhat sad. I hadn't realized how much I truly missed one of my absolute best friends until I saw him on the Senior bench, smiling and waving at me. I wish we would've talked, but life goes on and it just made me even more grateful for all the wonderful people who have been and are in my life. They have left their handprints on my heart and blessed my life for the better. I wouldn't be who I am today without them. Desiree Bastian's dad passed away from a heartattack and has returned to her and Travis today. I have been really shaken by this and I can't even begin to imagine how Kayelynn Bastian is feeling. But I know without a doubt that they will all be reunited again someday and I am so thankful for the knowledge that my family will be together again someday too. The quote that I started this blog with has become especially meaningful in my life. Before Fall Break, I had a math midterm that was extremely stressful. I studied for hours on end and I don't know the result yet, but I read John 15:5 and 7 the night before I took the test. If you aren't familiar with it, go read it. God wants you to succeed but you must put forth the effort first. He is just wanting and waiting to bless you. I know that at the end of every struggle, you become more refined and a better person whether your testimony is strengthened or you learn something that helps you progress. Like Audrey, my whole life shows that. And I hope that one day I can be worthy of the ultimate prize at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for making my day!

Theme designed by Feeric Studios. Copyright © 2013. Powered by Blogger